Stuck – Or So I Thought

As I dove into the mass of parent surveys, teacher responses, student grades, attendance, and behavior I found something not altogether surprising.  My data seemed to be inconclusive.  The teachers didn’t report any communication with home and the parents vocalized they only felt they needed to hear from the teacher when the student was in trouble.  Furthermore – the students who had participated earned satisfactory grades and had no reports of behavior referrals.

In a panic, I emailed my professor and some classmates with the subject line reading “stuck”.  In the message I detailed my specific situation, including the lack of breakthrough data and acknowledged the small sample size.  Thankfully, some fantastic classmates and my professor stepped up to suggest a school improvement plan because of the seeming complacency regarding communication with home.  My classmate went on to suggest community outreach through face-to-face meetings that could assist the parents in adjusting to a new culture.

I now have my work cut out for me.  I will finish synthesizing the data I have, research home communication, and develop a school improvement plan.  Sounds easy, right?  After this weekend, I’m thankful for a community of learners who came to my aid when I was feeling down and out.  On we go!

Advertisements

Data Collection in the Trenches

I have sent out survey questions to parents and am still working on receiving consent from others.  To collect teacher data, I plan on creating a google form to better keep track of results and make it more convenient for them.  I will begin student observations later this week after some testing has finished.

At this point, I only have consent from five students (about a third of the total population).  In order to make up for small numbers, I will administer more teacher surveys and ask more in depth questions.  If I can’t have as much widespread data, it will be more detailed.

Preliminary Data Collection

To begin, I compiled a list of all students who are identified as ESL within the school where I teach.  Currently, there are 17 active ESL students and 8 flagged as “monitor” status.  Using the College Review Board-approved consent and assent forms, I sent home information to parents about the study.  At this point, I have received six forms.  I hope to receive consent from at least half of the students.  I have had to provide additional copies and check in with students regarding the status of their paperwork.

I have been in close contact with the ESL teacher at the school and have interviewed her regarding her communication with parents.  I will begin dispersing interview questions to teachers this week.  I will also translate the parent survey questions into Spanish and send them home with students who have already consented to participate.  Additionally, I will begin to create a template for classroom behavior observations as well as grades.